When was the last time you experienced silence? There is so much noise around us these days, it can be difficult to find peace and quiet. Yet even in the quietest of moments it may not feel quiet and peaceful within you. If your inner world is noisy this becomes more apparent in the moments the external noise subsides.
If you want to practise becoming quiet within, it will, over time, ease the disturbance of external world. Even though there will always be noise surrounding you, if your inner world is quieter you will you feel more peaceful amongst the chaos. The good news is, you don’t have to sit for long periods meditating to achieve this level of peace. Micro Pauses are short practices, often less than 5 minutes a day, that build up benefits over time. This Micro Pause is a conscious breathing exercise, which if practiced over time will lead to a more peaceful inner world.
How to practise conscious breathing
1. Find a comfortable place to sit. If you can make it the same place each time this is beneficial. If you want the more advanced level, sit at the same time each day.
2. As you sit, become aware of your breath and notice how it connects with your body. It may have been long time, since you breathed fully. Enjoy the feeling.
3. Become more conscious of the cool air entering your body. Feel it moving through you, as your tummy expands.
4. Now track the breath as it leaves your body, gently exhaling as if you’re blowing out a candle.
5. Repeat for 5 cycles of breath, or stay a little longer if you have time.